My dogs follow me around the house, no matter what I’m doing. Even at dinner time, they would be by my side keeping a close eye on what I’m doing.
I was having pork for dinner the other night, and in the corner of my eye, I could see my furry friends watching me in the hope of getting a piece of the meat or even the bones.
But this got me wondering, can dogs eat pork bones? Is it safe for them to do so?
No, dogs should not eat pork bones because the bones can easily splinter and crack when they chew on them, and this can lead to various problems when swallowed. If a dog swallows a splintered or cracked pork bone, then it can lead to intestinal blockages, and it can even damage the esophagus or intestines. In some cases, a dog might even choke on a pork bone when he attempts to swallow it, especially if it is a small dog.
What To Do If Your Dog Has Eaten A Pork Bone
As a dog parent, I know it can be very difficult to keep an eye on a dog and monitor its every move. Sometimes, they get into situations that we always try to avoid, like eating something that they should not eat.
If your dog has eaten a pork bone, or if he has just started chewing on it, take it away from him immediately. If you suspect that he has swallowed a piece of the bone, then it is very important that you contact a vet immediately.
You need to monitor your dog closely for signs that show that he is not feeling well due to swallowing the bone, and might be suffering from an intestinal blockage. These signs include:
- Loss of Appetite
- Irregular Bowel Movements
- Excessive Drooling
As mentioned, it is a good idea to consult with a vet immediately, especially if your dog is showing any of the signs mentioned above.
Can Dogs Eat Pork Rib Bones?
No, dogs should not eat pork rib bones because the bones can break easily, and this can cause serious harm to a dog when swallowed. Swallowing a splintered or cracked pork rib bone can damage a dog’s mouth, esophagus, or intestines and it can even be a choking hazard. So, it is best to keep your pup clear of pork rib bones.
Can Small Dogs Eat Pork Rib Bones?
No, small dogs should not eat pork rib bones. In fact, small dogs are at a larger risk than bigger dogs when it comes to eating pork rib bones. As mentioned earlier, pork rib bones can be a choking hazard and this is even more relevant when it comes to smaller dogs.
What Bones Are Safe For Dogs?
The good news is that there are other types of bones that your dog can safely enjoy.
In fact, a lot of raw uncooked bones are safe for dogs as long as they are big enough so that your dog can’t swallow them. Cow or Bison bones are the safest bones for your dog to eat, and your pup can safely chew, eat, and digest them.
It is important though that you still monitor your dog closely when giving him any type of bone. There is always a risk of the bone getting stuck in his throat, or being too hard to chew, which can cause damage to his teeth.
If you’re concerned about your dog’s teeth getting damaged from eating bones, then you should consider giving him raw chicken, turkey, lamb, or beef bones as these are fairly soft and easy to chew on.
What Are The Benefits Of Feeding Bones To Your Dog?
Feeding your dog the right type of bones can actually be very healthy for him. Bones are, of course, rich in calcium, and this helps with the formation of bones and teeth, nerve impulse transmission, cell signaling, muscle contract, and blood coagulation in dogs.
Chewing on a bone can also provide mental stimulation to dogs, and it is known for helping dogs with anxiety, which in turn helps with high blood pressure and heart disease.
But, as mentioned previously, there are always risks involved in feeding your dog bones. If you are not sure whether or not to give your dog bones, talk to a vet to get some clarity.
As you can see, you should never feed your dog pork bones.
These bones can easily break or splinter and can cause serious problems to your dog when he swallows them. The biggest problem with swallowing a cracked pork bone is that it can cause intestinal blockages, and this can cause your pup to become very ill.
Small dogs might even choke when attempting to swallow a pork bone.
If you suspect that your pup has swallowed a splintered pork bone, then get in touch with a vet immediately.