Can I Feed My Jack Russell Chocolate?

can i feed my jack russell chocolate

You should not feed your Jack Russell chocolate. Chocolate contains theobromine, which is toxic to dogs and can cause potentially fatal seizures.

Dark chocolate is more dangerous than milk chocolate because it contains more theobromine and less sugar, fat, and milk solids.

Cocoa bean shells also contain some theobromine, but not as much as the actual chocolate itself. The darker and less processed chocolate is, the more dangerous it will be for your Jack Russell.

What to do if your Jack Russell has eaten chocolate

If you feed your dog chocolate, he may suffer from vomiting, diarrhoea, hyperactivity, restlessness and cardiac problems. All of these can be signs of poisoning.

If you see your dog behave in this way and you are sure that she has eaten or drunk chocolate then you should contact a veterinarian as soon as possible.

The vet will try to lower the level of theobromine in the blood by using specific drugs or by inducing vomiting. The vet will also give some medications to limit the effects of chocolate poisoning on your dog’s nervous system.

Your Jack Russell may have seizures while he is having treatment for chocolate poisoning.

Other foods to avoid

You may be feeding your dog some delicious food but have no idea he might fall ill if he eats it.  Some popular human foods are harmful to dogs which is why you need to know what should not be fed to Jack Russells. These foods should be avoided at all times.

Grapes and Raisins

Grapes and raisins are toxic to dogs because they contain a chemical known as grape seed extract. This substance can interfere with the nervous system causing weakness, vomiting, breathing difficulties, and even death in some cases.

Symptoms of grape poisoning usually appear within 12 hours of ingestion but may take longer to appear depending on the number of grapes or raisins eaten by your dog.


Almonds, while not toxic to canines, aren’t easy for dogs to digest. In addition to the almond itself, almonds contain cyanide which can create issues in dogs.

While small quantities of almonds won’t cause deaths, they are more likely to cause vomiting or distress in dogs.

Macadamia Nuts

One of my favorite snacks is the macadamia nut – I just love their rich, buttery taste. But macadamia nuts aren’t as dog-friendly as you might think.

Jack Russells have been known to be susceptible to macadamia nuts. As a matter of fact, several dogs have had to undergo emergency treatment for the ingestion of macadamia nuts. The main symptoms noticed in dogs eating macadamia nuts are weakness in the back legs, vomiting, and diarrhea.


Garlic contains a chemical known as thiosulphate which is toxic to dogs. This chemical irritates the stomach and intestines causing vomiting, diarrhea, and stomach pain.

The chemical might also cause gastrointestinal bleeding especially if the dog has eaten garlic regularly for an extended period of time.


Onions contain the chemical thiosulphate which irritates the stomachs of dogs causing nausea and vomiting.

Onions also damage red blood cells which makes them more susceptible to infection from bacteria and other microorganisms.

White onions are not as harmful as yellow onions but should still be avoided because they can cause stomach irritation in dogs.


Hops are a crop that’s used in beer making. As they pertain to dogs, it can create very dangerous, very high temperatures in furry friends.

Since this substance is normally found in a lot of different foods — and even sold as a supplement to treat anxiety — it’s important for pet owners to know about the dangers it poses to our beloved canine companions.


A common rumor is that Jack Russell terriers can eat avocados without any negative side effects. This is true, to an extent. Jack Russells can eat avocados, but they may cause some minor health problems.

Avocado contains a chemical known as persin which is toxic to dogs. This substance can lead to various symptoms including vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, lethargy, and heart problems.

Egg Whites

Unfortunately, Jack Russells can not eat egg whites because they contain avidin. Avidin is a protein that binds to biotin in the body and prevents your dog from absorbing it. This can cause serious skin, coat, and health issues.

Rhubarb Leaves

Everybody knows that rhubarb is delicious in recipes, but did you know that it’s poisonous to pets?

The poisonous properties of rhubarb make it unsafe for dogs. While the stems are safe to be eaten by your dog, rhubarb leaves can cause serious excessive salivation, lethargy, and even kidney failure.

Dried Fruits

It’s best to avoid giving your Jack Russell any dried fruit because many of these will contain a chemical known as cyanide. If this substance gets into your dog’s system it can lead to gradual and serious tissue and organ damage.


The plants that make up the cabbage family contain a chemical called goitrogens. These substances can interfere with thyroid function and lead to hypothyroidism in dogs.

Symptoms of hypothyroidism include weight gain, dry skin, hair loss, and lethargy.


It is best to avoid feeding your dog chocolate as it is not good for her health. You can find a variety of chocolate treats out there that do not contain any sugars, fat or milk solids. Dark chocolates are more dangerous than milk or white chocolates because they contain more theobromine and less sugar, fat and milk solids.

If you feed your dog any other type of chocolate, you can try to induce vomiting and give your Jack Russell some medication that reduces the level of theobromine in her blood.


  • Jan Pretorius

    Meet Jan Pretorius, the passionate dog lover and proud owner of the popular canine haven, Born and raised in a small town known for its love of animals, Jan’s journey into the world of dogs began at a young age, fueled by an innate connection with our four-legged companions.