We all know how important exercise is for Jack Russell, and how often we need to get them out and about so that can release some of their energy.
Due to the active nature of Jack Russells, and the frequent exercise that they require, it is vital that we make sure that they are always comfortable and safe when we take them for a walk around the block or in the park.
Having a harness for your Jack Russell is a great way to ensure that he is comfortable and does not get choked by a leash while he is taking a stroll with you during his daily exercise routine or when you are taking him on a hike up the mountain.
5 Of The Best Dog Harnesses For Jack Russells
Let’s have a look at some of the best dog harnesses for Jack Russells that you can buy now.
PetSafe Easy Walk Dog Harness
No more pulling on the leash? Sounds pretty perfect. Enjoy lunge-free walks around the block with the PetSafe Easy Walk Black & Silver Dog Harness. Instead of pulling on your Jack Russell’s sensitive throat, the Easy Walk Harness attaches near the chest, allowing you to steer your pup and regain control over the daily walk.
Available in multiple sizes to fit any Jack Russell.
What I like:
- Discourages Russells from pulling on the leash, and makes walking enjoyable and stress-free for you and your dog.
- Quick-snap buckles on shoulder and belly straps for easy on and off. The belly strap is a complementary color, making it easy to tell which strap goes over the shoulders and which strap goes under your Jack Russell’s belly.
- Martingale loop at the chest prevents twisting, 4 adjustment points provide maximum comfort and reliable fit.
- Ideal for training Jack Russells to walk nicely on a leash.
- The chest strap rests across your Jack Russell’s chest instead of putting pressure on the delicate throat, so there’s no choking or gagging.
Chai’s Choice 3M Polyester Reflective Front Clip Dog Harness
Create an eye-catching, stylish look for your Jack Russell, while also keeping him safe and secure with the Chai’s Choice 3M Reflective Dog Harness.
Lovingly crafted to remove pressure from your Jack Russell’s neck and disperse it through cushy and lightweight mesh padding on the chest and belly, this harness also has reflective piping interwoven into its durable nylon exterior to make sure he stays visible while you’re walking him at night.
Adjustable straps, nine vibrant color options, and a wide variety of size choices make for a completely customizable experience. And you can say goodbye to chaotic walks and car rides, simply by attaching his leash to the chest-mounted O-ring to discourage pulling or buckling him in for road trips by slipping a seatbelt through the sturdy built-in handle on top of the harness.
What I like:
- Perfect for nighttime strolls, thanks to 3M reflective material that keeps Jack Russells visible in low lighting.
- Padded chest and belly straps keep Jack Russells comfortable and secure by removing pressure from the neck.
- A built-in handle on top of the harness can be used to buckle Jack Russells into the car for safer and easier road trips.
- The leash can be attached to the O-ring on the chest to discourage Jack Russells from pulling at the leash while on walks.
- Create a custom look and fit, thanks to easily adjustable straps, nine brilliant color choices, and a variety of sizes.
Best Pet Supplies Voyager Black Trim Mesh Dog Harness
Best Pet Supplies Voyager Black Trim Mesh Dog Harness is a simple, easy-to-use harness that is extremely comfortable for your Jack Russell, no matter what the forecast is. Made from soft, breathable mesh, this lightweight harness allows moisture to escape, keeping your pup cool as he walks.
It’s gentle against the skin and hugs your Jack Russell’s torso to provide a secure fit. The Voyager Dog Harness has a fuzzy fastener closure and quick-release buckle for fast and easy adjustment, and there are two D-rings for attaching a leash. With a range of sizes from XS to XL, you’ll get the perfect fit for your pooch.
What I like:
- Made from a soft and breathable mesh fabric that will securely hug your Jack Russell while still being gentle on their skin.
- This harness is made with an easy step-in style which is perfect for Jack Russells who hate putting harnesses on over their heads.
- The harness attaches to your Jack Russell with double the security. You can adjust the whole fit of the harness using the fuzzy fastener strap located in the back and additional security is provided by the snap-in buckle.
- Sturdy 2-D rings are included to easily attach your leash.
- Made with high-quality fabric that is light and sturdy, perfect for letting air flow through on warm days.
PetSafe Gentle Leader Padded No Pull Dog Headcollar
If your furry friend tends to get ahead of herself during walks by pulling, then try this PetSafe Gentle Leader Padded No Pull Dog Headcollar. This innovative collar helps stop pulling, lunging and jumping, along with other undesirable behaviors during your morning, afternoon or evening strolls.
Created by a veterinary behaviorist over 30 years ago, this piece is designed with a neoprene padded nose loop for comfort, putting pressure on the back of the neck as opposed to her throat, to help prevent coughing and choking.
This Headcollar is available in multiple sizes and the adjustable nose loop and next strap help you find the perfect fit for your Jack Russell.
What I like:
- Recommended by vets and trainers and designed by a veterinary behaviorist over 30 years ago.
- Helps control unwanted behaviors like pulling, lunging, and jumping, giving you control of the leash and your Jack Russell.
- The adjustable nose loop and quick-snap neck strap make it easy to put on your Jack Russell.
- The nose loop is padded with neoprene for extra comfort, while the headcollar helps remove pressure from his throat and to the back of his neck to help stop choking.
YUP! Mesh No Pull Dog Harness
The YUP! Non-Pull Mesh Dog Harness fits like a glove and is designed to curb moderate to heavy leash pullers. Made for style, comfort, and control, this harness features an elasticized mesh chest piece that moves with your Jack Russell.
It’s designed to humanely control any size Jack Russell without choking, and the one-piece harness is easy to put on and take off. The padded restraint sleeves offer extra comfort under the front legs.
What I like:
- Features a veterinarian-approved, patented system that “gives” your Jack Russell’s natural movements.
- Designed to stop the hardest pullers humanely without any choking. This product is perfect for those stubborn pups and will help you stay in charge during walks.
- Uniquely devised to provide ultimate comfort for your dog while not sacrificing any handle on control. Padded restraint sleeves allow for a comfy fit under front legs, while the elastic mesh chest piece moves with your Jack Russell.
- Hassel-free application with its one-piece ergonomic structure.
- Only made with the highest quality nylon, this product will stand against the test of time.
What Size Harness Is Best For A Jack Russell?
Jack Russells are small dogs, so your best bet is to choose a size SMALL harness for your Jack Russell. Now, not all Jack Russells are the same size, but luckily most harnesses can be adjusted to fit your pup just right. Be sure to look at the size chart for the brand of the harness that you are interested in to make sure that it will fit your pup. If the harness supports a neck size of 10″ to 14″ and a chest size of 14″ to 20″ then it will fit your Jack Russell just fine.
Why Is A Harness Better For A Jack Russell Than A Leash?
As we all know, Jack Russells are very active dogs, and most of the time they will take you for a walk instead of you taking them for a walk. I remember taking my pups out for a walk and they always used to run in a direction at full speed to explore. With a leash on, this often meant that they will start to choke, which wasn’t ideal. This was the main reason for me getting them harnesses instead.
Now, they can explore the outside world without the fear of choking.
As you can see, you have a variety of choices when it comes to a harness for your Jack Russell. Not only is it a great way to ensure that he is comfortable and does not get choked by a leash while you are taking him for a walk.